Friday, June 14, 2013

Paige's Veggie Stir Fry...

Last night I made up a yummy recipe on the fly.
I started by making some Jasmin rice.
While that was cooking I sautéed a yellow onion in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and three times that amount of toasted sesame oil over medium-low heat so it did not cook to fast.  I make 4-5 slices so that I am left with rings that are still in layers.  This makes it easier to flip over and to make sure they are all cooked equally.
While the rice and onion cooked I started grilling my zucchini slices on both sides.
While the zucchini grilled I started cleaning and cutting my broccoli and put it in a steamer pot to start steaming.  I prefer my broccoli to be just a little bit crisp so I steam it on high heat and just when the lit starts to make noise I check it and it is usually done then.
After flipping my zucchini and onions over I start peeling, cleaning and chopping my carrots and cleaning and chopping my celery.  I make sure not to chop them to thin or they will be to limp for the finished product.  I then clean my asparagus and chop then ends off and discard them.  I then cut the asparagus into thirds.  Place the carrots, celery and asparagus in a bowl to be used a bit later.
Once the zucchini are grilled on both sides I pull them and cut them into quarters.  Once the onions are translucent I pull them and cut them into small pieces.  I then dump the onions, zucchini, carrots, celery and asparagus in the pan the cooked the onions in.  I added a bit more toasted sesame oil, a dollop of Hoisin sauce and gave it a stir and cooked over medium-low heat.  Once the broccoli is done add it to the rest of the veggies and stir.  I cook until the asparagus is perfect.  Then I added a 1/4 cup soy sauce and stir again.
To plate/bowl, I scoop some rice into my dish, then using tongs I add the veggies.
This would also be good with some pan fried tofu to add some protein.  I think I will try that next time.
Stephen, Paisley and I all loved this meal.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment