Saturday, June 8, 2013

Roasted Vegetable Pasta...



Tonight I made Roasted Vegetable Pasta again from The Kitchy Kitchen: Venture into vegan from Food For Thought with Claire Thomas. I have made this before and we loved it so I thought I would give it another try and it did not disappoint.

I tweaked the recipe so mine had a butternut squash, two potatoes, two yellow onions, olive oil, cherry tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and linguine pasta. You can add any other left over vegetables you have in the fridge. This recipe is quick and easy.

You preheat the over to 450 degrees. Slice the onions and place rings on lightly olive oiled baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. On another baking sheet chop up butternut squash and potatoes into small chunks. I pop the squash and potatoes in a bowl add the olive oil and salt and pepper and mix well then place on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, then flip onion rings, squash and potatoes so they cook evenly on both sided for another 20 minutes. Watch your onions, if they are cooking fast flip them early and you can remove them from the oven early to if you want to. That is why I don't add any squash or potatoes to that baking dish. Onions don't take as long to cook.
 While the vegetables bake I start the water for the pasta and start halving my cherry tomatoes, mincing my garlic clove, chiffonade my basil (which is a fancy way of saying cutting into ribbons).  I stack the basil leaves, then roll them up, then slice the roll which leaves the ribbons.  I also measure out the three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar so it is ready to go too.
 Once I flip my vegetables I put my pasta into the water.  Then I heat a large pan to med-high heat add a splash of olive oil and cook my tomatoes for about a minute, then I add my garlic for another minute or two, then I add my roasted vegetables and basil.  I turn off the heat and keep stirring so everything gets mixed up.  When the pasta is done, DO NOT DRAIN IT, you want to use your tongs to put the pasta into the large pan with the water dripping into the pan to help with the sauce.  Once you have all the wet pasta in the pan add the balsamic vinegar and stir it all together and here is what it looks like all done.  Yummy.
 I like to serve it with some bread but that is up to you.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment