Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vegan One Week...

I have been vegan for exactly one week as of yesterday.  

I am proud of myself for sticking to this and I am happy to report it is a lot easier than I thought it would be.  I am proud of Stephen for taking this 3-Day Reboot with me and not cheating.  I appreciate his support more than I can say.  In the last week I have lost almost ten pounds.  I have been full and don't feel like I am dieting at all.  I am not sure if that is because I have chosen to make a lifestyle change or because I am eating a higher quantity of healthy food.  I have also noticed that my insomnia has gone away, please God be gone for good.  I have been sleeping on average seven hours a night which for me is something of a miracle.

I have a tendency to dive into things head first.  This was no different.  Now that I have a week under my belt I am thinking ahead and have been struggling with labels and socializing.  Maybe instead of calling myself "vegan" maybe I should call myself "vegetarian" but live a mostly vegan lifestyle.  That way I would not put undo pressure on friends and family.  I know how hard it is to cook dinner for friends that are vegan when you don't know that much about it.  I don't want my friends and family to feel like they have to cook me "special meals" and I don't want to be that person who goes to someones house and picks at the food on my plate but not really eat anything.  I have had that happen to me and Stephen and I always end up reviewing dinner and having that conversation about how weird it was they he/she did not eat even though we thought dinner was wonderful.  I did not become vegan because of animal rights issues, I did it for health and weight loss reasons.  So I don't have a hard time being around meat or people eating meat.  I am grossed out by the thought of what they do to the meat and what it does to me.  The only foods that I kind of miss is sushi, fish and thought of never eating fettuccine Alfredo (egg noodles, cream, butter - lots of none vegan issues with this one) or butter cream frosting.  Clearly the last two don't help with weight loss or my health but would an occasional taste kill me?  I know, I know it's a slippery slope.  

I am still in the thinking stages of this but I will let you know what I decide.  For now, I am still vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment