Monday, April 29, 2013

Fun Weekend Food...


Vanilla soy yogurt, KIND granola, banana and mango.


Milton's whole grain crackers with Athenos orignal hummus.

 
Chili-Sweet Mango Noodles

The one on the left is Stephen's with the chives and mine is on the right sans chives.  :)
Funny story for this dinner.  I love spicy food.  I eat spicy Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Sushi (not wasabi, I don't like wasabi at all).  But the spicier the better.  I always say if my nose isn't running it must not be good.
So I see this recipe in Everyday Happy Herbivore and and think this will be great.  I love spicy, I love mango, I love Udon noodles, I can omit the chives on mine, perfect.  I make the recipe as it calls for.  It says to taste the sauce and add more chili sauce if desired or more vegetable broth if it is too spicy.  I almost just added more chili sauce but I decided to not kill my husband and taste it first.  I was shocked how spicy it was and so I added some more vegetable broth and called it good.  I plated the dish, added Stephen's chives and photographed both bowls.  We pray and then start eating.  It is very good but the more you eat the more our tongues were on fire.  Stephen was cracking up that I was dying since he has never heard me say something was too spicy.  We both drank two bottles of water each, then sucked on ice cubes after dinner.  I just kept going over the recipe in my head and thought maybe I added 1 Tbsp instead of 1 tsp but when I checked the recipe it did call for 1 Tbsp.  Then I reread the entire recipe.  When I got to the 1 Tbsp red chili sauce a lightbulb went on in my brain.  I used 1 Tbsp red chili paste (you know the concentrated version of the sauce).  We laughed and laughed.  I will definitely make this again but have already put a post-it note in my cookbook to be sure I use sauce and not paste.  The flavors were amazing and if the mango had not been included we would have died for sure.




Naan bread (w/o eggs), hazelnut spread, chopped hazelnuts, banana slices and honey.  
Yum, yum and more yum.  
The next time we make this we will leave off the honey,  it is not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment