Friday, September 13, 2013

Tortilla Soup...


Today I made Tortilla Soup from a cookbook called The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester.  I edited her recipe by not adding cilantro (because I don't like cilantro in anything) and I did not add the chicken-flavored seitan.  Below is Kathy's recipe without the seitan but the rest is the same (my notes are in red).  I added a little cheddar cheese and Tofutti sour cream on top of the soup and served it with a lime wedge.  I ended up adding a splash of my favorite hot salsa to my bowl of soup to give it a little bit of spicy heat but that is up to you.

Slow Cooker Meatless Tortilla Soup

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours
  • 1 Tb olive oil 
  • 1 medium onions, minced 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced 
  • 28 oz. organic tomatoes (diced, crushed, or whole) 
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste 
  • 4 cups filtered water 
  • 1 tsp pepper 
  • 1/2 lime, juiced 
  • 1 Tb cilantro, chopped - **I did not add this 
  • 1 tsp cumin 
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder 
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped 
  • 1/4 cup tequila - **I used Petron Silver (my favorite tequila) 
The night before: Chop onions and mince the garlic. How easy is that for prep work? Optional: Saute in olive oil then store in fridge until tomorrow.

In the morning: Add everything but the avocado and tequila. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. About a half hour or so before serving, stir in lime juice, tequila, and adjust . Puree with an immersion blender.

Chop avocado and toss with extra lime juice and a little chili powder.

Serve topped with fresh cilantro (or no cilantro in my case), avocado, and strips of *baked tortilla strips or *crushed chips.

Give this a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment