Thursday, April 18, 2013

Taco Soup Veganized...

I have veganized taco soup.  Is "veganized" a word, well it is now.  :)  A few months ago I started making taco soup in the crockpot and Stephen absolutely loved it.  I wanted to make him something yummy for being such a great sport and support during the 3-Day Reboot and I thought about the taco soup recipe.  Here is the recipe I used today:

Vegan Taco Soup
  • 1 can chili beans with liquid
  • 1 can kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 can black beans, strained
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn with liquid
  • 1 can tomato sauce (8oz)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (28oz)
  • 1 can hot diced green chiles (4oz)
  • 1/4 cup taco seasoning
  • 1/4 cup onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
Add all the ingredients into a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.  Top with crushed tortilla chips and tofutti.
Recipe by Paige



Tofutti is a sour cream substitute that is made from tofu.  Stephen and I tried it for the first time tonight and we both were shocked that it was good and tasted and smelled just like regular sour cream.  The one thing Stephen asked of me when I began all of this was to not serve him substitutes (like fake cheese, butter, sour cream, etc) but that almond milk was okay.  You will notice that the Tofutti is not in the photograph because I didn't want to make him eat it if he didn't want to.  But he lovingly agreed to try it.  I am still in shock that it tasted like sour cream and that he agreed.  

P.S. this does not mean I have joined the tofu bandwagon.  That may never happen.  Then again, I never would have thought that I would go vegan either.

4 comments:

  1. Paige - Just read all your blogs and I am SO PROUD of you. I am so looking forward to trying these recipes when we get back down to the lower-48 where broccoli and mushrooms are not $5.00 per pound like here in Haines! Looking forward to your next blog! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried tofutti cuties (the ice cream sandwiches)? Yummy! (And no, I'm not usually a fan of substitutes either).

    Anneka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Tofutti sour cream and better than cream cheese. I tried the cuties chocolate but it had a coffee flavor. I will try the vanilla next.

      Delete